I used to work in a computer store and one day we had a gentleman call in with a smoking power supply. The service representative was having a bit of trouble convincing this guy that he had a hardware problem.
- Tech Support: "Sir, something has burned within your power supply."
- Customer: "I bet that there is some command that I can put into the AUTOEXEC.BAT that will take care of this."
- Tech Support: "There is nothing that software can do to help you with this problem."
- Customer: "I know that there is something that I can put in...some command...maybe it should go into the CONFIG.SYS."
- Tech Support: "Ok, I am not supposed to tell anyone this but there is a hidden command in some versions of DOS that you can use. I want you to edit your AUTOEXEC.BAT and add the last line as C:\DOS\NOSMOKE and reboot your computer."
- Customer: "It is still smoking."
- Tech Support: "I guess you'll need to call Microsoft and ask them for a patch for the NOSMOKE.EXE."
- Tech Support: "Hello sir, how is your computer?"
- Customer: "I called Microsoft and they said that my power supply is incompatible with their NOSMOKE.EXE and that I need to get a new one. I was wondering when I can have that done?"
Four hours later, he calls back.